US income for a Canadian resident...

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Pyros

US income for a Canadian resident...

Post by Pyros »

I live in Canada and work as an independent contractor for a US company from my home. I haven't paid any taxes on this income yet, and the company sends me absolutely no documentation. All I've given to them is my address, contact info, birthday, and Social Insurance Number.

Now, I need to declare this income on my Income Tax so I can pay taxes on it, but not only do I have no documentation, I'm not sure where one even puts US income on the Canadian tax form...Does anyone have any idea?

Canadian Revenue Services has been absolutely no help, and they've either told me they don't know, or things that are blatantly false. The company I work for can't help me either, and I'm not able to see an accountant until Tuesday.

Thanks for any help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You basically are self-employed.

You need to calculate your net income just like any other independent business owner.

The fact that the money comes from the US has ne effect on your return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D