Cottage in Canada for US residents

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

popeye

Cottage in Canada for US residents

Post by popeye »

Hi there! Wife and I are considering purchasing a condo in Quebec. We're both US residents/citizens while my wife is also a Canadian citizen.
We're not planning to rent out the unit now. Would we need to file Canadian taxes or have any other tax obligations other than paying property and welcome taxes, maintenance, etc? We plan to remain US residents for the foreseeable future, but may move later (5+ year from now).
Also, we'd need to transfer a large sum of money from the US to Canada to purchase the condo. Anything we need to look out for on that? I know if we have a bank account with $10k+ USD that there are tax filing requirements for the US, but that's where my knowledge ends!
Thanks for any help you can provide.
nelsona

Re: Cottage in Canada for US residents

Post by nelsona »

You would need to file taxes in Canada (not quebec) and pay 25% on the rental income (and have monthly tax withheld and remitted to CRA).
CRA has information on non-resident rental income.

You would also need to report the income in US, and depreciation, with credit given for any Cdn tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
popeye

Post by popeye »

Thanks - but not planning to rent it. It would just be a second home that we would spend a little bit of time in every year. Also, in case it makes a difference, we plan to pay for it in cash and won’t have a mortgage. I assume that changes the answer a bit?

Thanks again!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sorry, missed the "not" trenting. You would only need to report when you sell.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D