Help with backfiling

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Help with backfiling

Post by arclite181 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 pm

I have been living in Canada and have never filed any US taxes (except 2019). I moved to US january 2019 and consider myself a resident of US. I got married last year and will be sponsoring my spouse and they require transcripts for the last 3 years (2017,2018,2019). My income has been consistently below 30k cdn (for the years that i didnt file) and i dont have any investments/other income. This income has been solely from non-US sources. I had a couple questions:

1) Do i use 1040 to file? If so which one (1040-nr-ez? normal 1040?)The form always asks me to add a W2 which i dont have because I was living in canada and they have T4's.
2) I have my NOI (notice of assessments) from CRA, should i be adding those to my backfilings?
4) Can i file an FBAR after filing my taxes? Or do i need to do it asap?

Posts: 16456
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Re: Help with backfiling

Post by nelsona » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:00 am

You were required t ofile in US all those. The threshold for not filing is in the range of $12K US, so you need to take care of this.
FBAR too.
Expect some penalties.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply