What tax do I need to pay if I have a corp-to-corp job under TN

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

simonnus

What tax do I need to pay if I have a corp-to-corp job under TN

Post by simonnus »

The job will be IT related, the employer is from NY/NJ.

May I know what tax do I need to pay in general? And what are the expenses I can put into cost in general?

I am working from home in Ontario most of the time only going to office physically about 2 weeks every month.
nelsona

Re: What tax do I need to pay if I have a corp-to-corp job under TN

Post by nelsona »

As long as you do not establish a base in US (by being present more than 1/2 the time over any 365-day period, you should only have to pay Cdn taxes on your remuneration.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
simonnus

Post by simonnus »

But I still have to get a TN visa so that my employer can proceed with my pay, right?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need the TN to work physically in US. Since you are corp-to-corp, they can cut you a check regardless (if, say, you simply work in Canada). The TN is to allow you to cross the border and perform work.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D