US citizen with complicated CA tax issues

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rwbit

US citizen with complicated CA tax issues

Post by rwbit »

I have a rather complex situation…yes, that means I am a US citizen working under a work permit (3 year permit) in CA.

First, the company transferred me (and my non working wife) to Canada in the beginning of 2007. The process involved creating a separate Canadian employee account since the division I was working for was a separate U S owned division. This meant that I had to sever all my ties to my existing 401k since I had no US income. When I transferred to Canada, I was told I could keep my Social Security and Medicare from the States and not contribute to the CPP…no problem but, I could not continue to contribute to my 401k since it is not recognized as a retirement plan in Canada. After investigating the company Defined Contribution RSP and personal RRSP’s I am still without a place to put my retirement contributions (including any company match of funds). Am I am missing something? There doesn’t appear to be any advantage to these plans since I would need to claim the income when I return to the US and pay upto 25% to close out my account if I emptied it earlier than retirement age. (I do not plan on retiring in Canada). My income is about $150K Cdn (plus $50K Cdn bonus which is taxed at a capital gain rate). With no options to shelter my money, I am subject to a substantial tax burden.

Are there any tax shelters or deductions available to US citizens working as temporary residents in Canada?

Second, I enrolled in the company stock purchase plan (after tax purchase) when I arrived in Canada. This plan was eliminated when our US entity bought out the minority share holders of the CA company.
The good news was a nice return on my stock purchases, the bad news is that I may have to give up every dollar made to capital gains. As I understand it, US citizens must submit returns where ever they live but having to pay capital gains to both CA and the US seems a bit much. My first glance indicates I may owe the US about $15K Usd…and I haven’t even figured out what my hit will be from Canada.

Do I actually have to pay capital gains to both? What is the capital gains tax rate assuming I earned $200K Cdn in 2007 and my net gain from the sale of the stock was $30Cdn.

Last question, I sold my house in NY when I moved to Canada and purchased a house in Oakville with intent to honor my 3 year stay. But, as situations have it, the company may want me to relocate back to the states (So. Carolina) in a couple of months. This will mean that I will not satisfy the 2 year residency requirement for avoiding capital gains on my house.
Are there exceptions to the 2 year rule? And will I have to pay capital gains on the profit from my Canadian house to the US & CA?

Thanks for entertaining these questions and any advice given.
Carson

Post by Carson »

You need a cross border accountant.
rwbit

Post by rwbit »

I agree. The company was supposed to provide tax advice and complete my tax forms but unfortunately the service provided is substandard for my situation.