Canadian in the US on a TN & Majority owner of a CAD Cor

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

SkyCielo

Canadian in the US on a TN & Majority owner of a CAD Cor

Post by SkyCielo »

I have read through the board and have been unable to find a situation such as mine.

I arrived to the US on April 20/07 as a visitor with the intent to stay in the US for a few months & return to Canada. I told the customes officer that I was a majority shareholder of a Corp in Canada & that I was planning a vacation in the US, however from time to time may need to work for my Canadian Corp while in the US. He had no problem with this & let me enter. While in the US I found a company to do some work for, spoke to a lawyer and she suggested and prepared the papers for a TN Visa. I left the US for a few weeks, returned Aug 25/07 & was granted the TN. The US Corp paid my CAD Corp for my services, and my CAD Corp paid me. I was expecting to file a 1040NR as I'd made several lenghty trips out of the US, but when I counted up my days in the US for 07, they are just over 183, so I'm deemed a resident for taxes.

I'm not sure what forms to file to the IRS, I believe I need to file Form 1040, and Form 5471 with schedules A,B,C,E,F,G,H,I,J,M & O, is that correct? Or are there other/better forms that I need?

At this point, I am sure that I'll be late, so I filed form 4868 for an extension, does anyone know if that extension will also cover form 5471?

Thanks in advance for any responses. Greatly appreciated!