How to report inheritance from Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sparksals

How to report inheritance from Canada

Post by sparksals »

I'm a Canadian citizen, US Permanent resident. I inherited $25K CDN which after exchange rate was about $22K US. How do I report this on our taxes or do I need to at all since it was less than 100K? It did not come from a trust, it was simply a bequeath in a will.
Carson

Post by Carson »

It's non reportable to the IRS, b/c as you've said, it's less than USD $100k.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The estate, if it that of a US person, or has US assets ,would have some reporting to do, but not you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sparksals

Post by sparksals »

Thank you.
Philmb

Inheritance from Canada

Post by Philmb »

I am relieved to hear that a bequest from a Canadian's will of $25,000 is not reportable on my US tax returns. I have looked everywhere unsuccessfully for the IRS rules that state inheritances of less than $100,000 do not need to be reported. Can you tell me what the rule # is, or where to read it. I believe you, I just need to confirm!
Carson

Re: Inheritance from Canada

Post by Carson »

[quote="Philmb"]I am relieved to hear that a bequest from a Canadian's will of $25,000 is not reportable on my US tax returns. I have looked everywhere unsuccessfully for the IRS rules that state inheritances of less than $100,000 do not need to be reported. Can you tell me what the rule # is, or where to read it. I believe you, I just need to confirm![/quote]

You won't find one, because the rule (can't quote you the exact IRC section right now) says that gifts of more than $100,000 **DO** have to be reported on form 3520. Check the instructions to the 3520 for details.

Merry Christmas.
Philmb

Post by Philmb »

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out 3520. Merry Christmas!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Hey Carson, Good to hear from you.
It's been over a year....
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D