Car Talk Here - DMV import/export etc!!!!

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

stanley

Post by stanley »

When I returned to the Atlantic provinces I paid 7% at the border and 8% at DMV for a total of about $3200 CDN....and yes it hurt, but I knew in advance and prepared. I'd never import again though. I'd try work out a deal with a bordertown dealership and see if you can trade in and maybe save a few dollars.

I also had to get approval for the title change with the auto finance people.
southbound

Post by southbound »

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the mechanics of taking my vehicle down to California (I'm going on a TN). I can't figure out whether I need to register the vehicle in California if I only import it temporarily (for 1 year). I called the DMV and they were really confused as well.

As well, is it possible to get U.S. car insurance if the car's registered in Ontario and I don't have a U.S. DL? I know the car needs to be insured before I can register.

Thanks in advance for your help!
patwuyo

Post by patwuyo »

I will be driving my car down as well (BC to CA), and just like you I am trying to figure things out.
According to the California's DMV website http://www.dmv.ca.gov/newtoca/newtoca.htm
" Nonresident vehicle owners who move to California must register their out-of-state vehicles in California within 20 days of the date they accept employment or establish residency in California."
But before registration you need to have properly imported the car through US customs.

Say if I return to BC after the 1 year TN, I will have to export my car from US and import (declare to Cdn customs) it into Canada and then deal with ICBC for licensing?! Seems to be a lot of import/export going on for a temporary stay.
neilmck

Post by neilmck »

hi all-
a followup to my earlier post to address some questions that arose. i can definitely sypmathize with everyone on the ambiguity of trying to import a car.

i imported my 1996 saab 900s from california to ontario in early 2004, when i became a permanent resident of canada for the first time. since i had owned the car for more than 12 months, i paid no gst or pst.

here's the ontario checklist, and a number you can call to see if you are eligible for the tax exemption.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... outcan.htm

416-235-2999 or toll free at 1-800-387-3445 for details.

although there are a number of steps involved, it actually went pretty smoothly. from memory there were a couple of one-time fees (RIV, licensing, registration, etc) that did not exceed $300 in total.

one gotcha though: since my car came over the border about 2 months after i actually immigrated, the border official was irritatied that i had not explicitly "declared" that my car was coming later when i immigrated...which presumably would have been noted on my record or something. he let me go, but i sensed that it was as a favor since it seemed to be a breech of protocol.

neil

ps: jfd5356: my car did not need any modifications. all i had to do was get a faxed letter from saab saying that my car (identified by the VIN) was manufactured in full compliance of canadian law. it only took 2 calls: one to the local saab dealer, and they gave me the right main number.