Change in use in property after leaving Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Smos

Change in use in property after leaving Canada

Post by Smos »

Hi,
I have left Canada in 2019 and rented my property which was my principal residence till departure date. I have done appraisal for FMV at time of Departure.
My question is that should I use schedule 3 and T2091 (principal residence exemption) for reporting the change in use and deemed disposition at FMV for 2019 taxes in Canada?
I can’t use election 45 (2) as I am a non-resident. Accountants and CRA agents are giving me contradictory responses on this.
Thanks
Smos

Re: Change in use in property after leaving Canada

Post by Smos »

Can someone please let me know if there is a change in use of property from principal residence to rental, do we need to file forms reporting this change in that year’s tax return? Property was principal residence for whole time before change in use.
I am getting conflicting answers from CRA agents and my accountant.
Thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There is no need to do a change of use when you leave Canada, since you cannot take advantage of the 4 year exemption anyways.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Smos

Post by Smos »

Thanks Nelsona.
The property price has improved greatly in the years of principal residence. How can I make sure the FMV price at time of departure will be taken into account when we sell? I somehow thought reporting the change of use will make the FMV new cost base. I think the number of years+1 Method will not be to our advantage when we actually sell.
Thanks again
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You should report it as an ELECTED deemed disposition on departure. Form T2061.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Smos

Post by Smos »

Thank you Nelsona.
In electing deemed disposed form T2061, its asking for adjusted cost base and FMV. What is the adjusted cost base in this case? Original purchase price?
It is asking that include S3 with this form. Should we also include T2091 for getting the principal exemption for capital gain?
Thanks again.
Smos

Post by Smos »

Sorry one more thing, does this election to deem dispose has negative US tax consequences?
Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your cost basis is something you will have to come up with. Not a cross-border issue. It does nt incur tax in US.