Deemed Deposition for Under 6o-month Residence

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

taraB

Deemed Deposition for Under 6o-month Residence

Post by taraB »

"property you owned when you last became a resident of Canada, or property you inherited after you last became a resident of
Canada, if you were a resident of Canada for 60 months or less during the 10-year period before you emigrated;"

Hi,

I culled the quote above from CRA's Form T1243. Does this mean that the stocks, bonds, and financial assets that I may have owned prior to becoming a resident of Canada are not subject to the "departure tax" of deemed depostion? And if I stay in Canada for less than 60 months I am exempt from this? What about reinvested dividends after becoming a resident?

Sorry for all the question. I very much appreciate the help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I think the staement is pretty self-explanatory. It means if you live in canada for less than 5 years, you won't owe deemed dipso tax on the investments you brought here.

There is more detail in the IT from CRA on deemed dispo that you are free to read.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D