Spousal RRSP question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

eortlund

Spousal RRSP question

Post by eortlund »

I don't remember if I've asked this before. We are Americans in Canada--applying for permanent residency. My husband has an RRSP--you had said it would be agood idea for me to get an open work permit and SIN so any extra RRSP contributions could go in a spousal RRSP. I don't remember what the advantage of this is--I know that if we were to retire in Canada, then it would make our retirement income more equal?

But what if we retire in the US? I guess that wouldn't matter because the RRSP retirement income still comes to us from Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Spousal RRSP can be used to equalize income at retirement.

Now, with the TFSA, such equalizaion is a little more easy, without the strings of RRSP.

There are plenty of websites which talk the merits of RRSP, spousal or otherwise.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Thank you. So are you saying that the wisdom of starting a spousal RRSP does not depend on whether we retire in the US or Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Once one of your have any RRSP, it doesn't matter if the other does or not has it in terms of US complexity. So spousal is jus tas useful regardless of where you retire.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Thank you! I really appreciate this message board and your quick responses. :)