American working in US and Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

poncho

American working in US and Canada

Post by poncho »

Hi there, I haven't been able to find this specific situation on your forum. It might be my searching ability so I apologize if you've seen it before.

I live in the US and am a citizen here. I used to live in Canada and so I guess I'm still a citizen there although I haven't lived there in many years. I am employed in the US and pay my taxes in the US.

I am being offered an additional job in Canada that I would do part time as a telecommuting employee of a large corporation in Ontario. I'll visit sometimes, but 80% of the time I'll be based in the US. This corporation wants to pay me as one of their regular Canadian employees and I suspect there will be automatic deductions for Canadian taxes.

Do I have to pay taxes in both countries? In one country? Can I stop them from deducting taxes automatically? What IRS forms should I be looking for and does any mainstream tax program like Turbotax have these forms?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!