Non REsidenStudent Loan Interest Carryforward Allowed

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cullen

Non REsidenStudent Loan Interest Carryforward Allowed

Post by cullen »

Client returned to Canada after a 3 year absence as a non-resident. Can the student loan interest in the 3 previous years be used as a carry forward?

thanks in advance
Joe
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Do you mean the student loans he was carrying BEFORE he left canada?

Only loans arraged thru the Cdn governmental agencies set up for this purpose qualify.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

.. so if we are talking loans made after he became non-resident, under some US plan or bank, then no.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cullen

Post by cullen »

Loans made before departure through the CDN gov. He never informed me of their existence the last three years despite my query. Now the he has returned, I can either amend the US return or use them as carryforwards in Canada (if possible). I would prefer to do the later based on %tax savings.
Joe
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Whether or not he uses them on his US return, he can still use them on his Cdn return.

Why would you think this was an 'either or' situation.
cullen

Post by cullen »

I intend to do both but I needed to clarify the possibility of a carryforward even though the interest was paid during non-residency. I could not find anything that addressed that scenario.
Thanks
Joe
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You said: "I can either amend the US return or use them as carryforwards in Canada (if possible). I would prefer to do the later based on %tax savings".

You then said: "I intend to do both".

Doesn't quite jive. Or are you using the Cintonesque definition of the word 'or'.

At any rate, the CRA wording is pretty clear: "...the interest you, or a person related to you, paid on that loan in 2007 and/or the preceding five years. ...
You can claim an amount only for interest you have not previously claimed."

Since it is not a use it or lose it deduction, nor is there a yearly form to fill out to track this interest, simply having the receipts for the past 3 years (CRA will know if any was claimed) will do the trick.
cullen

Post by cullen »

Thanks

Clinton struggled with the word "is" - they still do. Obama is not a VP candidate like they say he "is".

Dont care for either of them. Thats beyond this board though
Joe
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

.. nor do they seem to know the definition of 2nd ... or last.