Contribute to RRSP after declaring non-res?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

xmarcus

Contribute to RRSP after declaring non-res?

Post by xmarcus »

If I declare myself a Cdn non-res for tax purposes on 12/01/04 for example, can I do an RRSP contrib for 2005?

Of course, I wouldn't be doing a 2005 tax return but I would still benefit by having the income from those investments protected from tax.

Thanks
Carson

Post by Carson »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xmarcus</i>

If I declare myself a Cdn non-res for tax purposes on 12/01/04 for example, can I do an RRSP contrib for 2005?

Of course, I wouldn't be doing a 2005 tax return but I would still benefit by having the income from those investments protected from tax.

Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If you have the contribution room, you can make a contribution, BUT, why would you do so? If you are not filing a 2005 return, you won't be getting a tax benefit from the contribution (unless you plan on filing again in Canada in the near future), while the eventual withdrawal of the funds will be subject to a 25% withholding rate (if you are a non-resident) or potentially higher if you are a resident of Canada once again.

Do you not have any better options where you are now a resident?

Carson