Is Canadian tuition from prior years deductible on US return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

kwirky0

Is Canadian tuition from prior years deductible on US return

Post by kwirky0 »

I left Canada to work in the US last May. I severed all my ties to Canada and want to elect the full year resident choice. I have some un-used federal and provincial tuition amounts from prior years on my Federal and provincial tax return. I paid tuition from 2003 to 2006 to a Canadian school and didn't pay any tuition in 2007. The tuition amount on the Canadian Federal return is more than what I actually paid as tuition. ( I don't know why ) Can I claim tuition from prior years of my Canadian federal return on my US return?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Probably not. But even if you could, you would likely need to go back to the scholl asking for "US tuition" forms and statements (the ones they regularly prepare for US students), as there is some requirements that the scholl must meet, and verify.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D