Experience with CRA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dhirenasha

Experience with CRA

Post by dhirenasha »

Friends,

Let me share this experience with the forum so that anyone who is going through this in the future should take note of it.

After emigrating Canada in July 2007, we were still getting UCB, Child tax credit. When we found in Nov that we were not eligible to receive all these payments as we had technically emigrated, we called international tax service office and sent them the balance of payments and told them to stop it. After sending the payments and telling them in Nov that we have emigrated we still received payments for 2 more months until Jan which was sent back again through cheque to CRA.

Yesterday we got a bill from August to Jan asking to pay the amount which was paid. The cheques sent which are already cashed by them does not show anywhere.

Conclusion:
Until you get the bill asking for the money from CRA or HRDC never be pro-active and pay them. Looks like they don't appreciate you for being pro-active.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

ta-da!

You've grasped the pebble, grasshopper.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
DallasBill

Post by DallasBill »

Now I think I'll wait... 8)
...Bill
Greg

Post by Greg »

Good Info, as I will be in the same situation. Did they charge you penalties est. For supposedly taking the Money?. or did they just want what they paid you for the months that you where not living in Canada.
DallasBill

Post by DallasBill »

No -- mine was a case where the bank did not withhold the proper amount for a collapsed RSP last year. They withheld 10% instead of 25%. I realize I should owe them 15% more, but based on what you wrote, I think it's easier for them to ask for it than for me to send it to them "out of the blue."

Note: I am not a professional at anything except wasting time.
...Bill
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

No penalties, just asking the original money owed...
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

DB, whether you wait or not, remember to use the accrual method when filling your 1116 for this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Bill_S

Post by Bill_S »

[quote="nelsona"]ta-da!

You've grasped the pebble, grasshopper.[/quote]

LOL! You're showing your age...
DallasBill

Post by DallasBill »

[quote="nelsona"]DB, whether you wait or not, remember to use the accrual method when filling your 1116 for this.[/quote]
Yup... thanks. That way worked out best, but we ran the numbers both ways to see if a sched-a (no AMT) was better using only the 2007 payment amt.
...Bill