Rollover RRSP to IRA/401K

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mmdkpryan

Rollover RRSP to IRA/401K

Post by mmdkpryan »

My wife and I have RRSP accounts that have performed well, but have been stagnant for the last 11 years since our return to the States. With the strengthening of the Canadian dollar, I would like to consolidate our retirement accounts. Does anyone know if it is possible to rollover the RRSP accounts into an IRA or 401K?
K. Ryan
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. it is now possible, in all but 1 or 2 states, to actively trade in one's RRSP, so stagnation should not be a problem.

Your choices are to leave the money until needed or take it as income, paying any Cdn or US tax upon withdrawal.

BTW, I trust you are in compliance with IRS's reporting reuirements for RRSP (form 8891 and TD 90 forms)
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mmdkpryan

Post by mmdkpryan »

Nelsona-thanks. Do you know what states allow the rollover? I would have thought this would be a federal issue.

Yeah, we have been filing the TD 90-22.1. Trying to stay on the right side of the IRS.
K. Ryan
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You misunderstood my response. You CANNOT rollover, anywehere. There are a couple of states that don't even allow TRADING WITHIN your RRSP.

That is what I meant by "it is now possible, in all but 1 or 2 states, to actively trade in one's RRSP".

But have you been filing 8891.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D