Help please? Filing US taxes abroad

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

beans

Help please? Filing US taxes abroad

Post by beans »

HI! I have a few questions about filing US taxes while living in Canada as a permanent resident.

1. I am an American married to a Canadian. Someone on the net told me that I need a tax ID # for my Canadian spouse.. is this true, if so how do I get one?

2. What forms do I fill out.. 1040? DO I just claim world income? (I nly worked in Canada).. what about the tax credit... any other forms that I need to fill out?

3. I need to file for 2006. What forms do I use for that?

4. I made $0 in 2005 and I did not file. Was I still supposed to file $0 income?

Any info would be great thank you =)
beans

Post by beans »

oh and I have no rrsps, no property here, just worked at one job

any idea on what forms to file ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As a US citizen you must file a 1040 every year regardless of where you live, once you earn about $10,000

There are various credits and exemptions available to you to reduce your US tax to zero (or even, if you have kids, get a refund).

Look at forms 1040, 2555 and 1116 for a start
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You will get an ITIN for yoru spouse when you file your 1040 and send the appropriate form W-7.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
beans

Post by beans »

hey nelsona
thanks a bunch,, you helped me out a lot =D