CRA Line 10400 - what to report from W2

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:40 pm

CRA Line 10400 - what to report from W2

Post by elgoog » Thu May 07, 2020 2:04 am


I am trying to report my U.S. income on my Canadian return using ... ncome.html.

The page says: If the amount on your United States W-2 slip has been reduced by contributions to a 401(k), 457, or 403(b) plan, US Medicare and Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA), you must add these contributions to your foreign employment income on line 10400 of your Canadian return. These contributions may be deductible.

1. I have already added my 401k contributions but was wondering how do I find the FICA contributions?
2. I also have additional amounts in Box 12 of the W-2: Cost of employer healthcare coverage, Employer HSA contribution and Group-term life insurance. Do I need to add these too? How do I claim a credit for them?

Posts: 16414
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Re: CRA Line 10400 - what to report from W2

Post by nelsona » Thu May 07, 2020 7:22 pm

That is your SS and Medicare. These are rarely subtracted from your wages. Remember that these are considered taxes, which you use as a credit in Canada.
Any amounts YOU paid should for medical should go on your medical expenses in Canada.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply