U.S. Citizen Landed in Canada late filing U.S. return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

idrawart

Post by idrawart »

I'm a U.S. citizen and have lived in Canada since 1985. Nope, I've never filed a U.S. tax return, and Yep, I now know I should have. Now what? How many should I file or do I just go to Jail without passing Go? Until I found this forum and started reading did it ever occur to me that I could be "taxed" in a country I did not reside or derive income.

Thanks.
Boston Tea Party 2
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

go back 6 years, including all RRSP requirements. Also file the TD 90 form for foreign accounts for this year.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
idrawart

Post by idrawart »

Many thanks for the quick response. It's hard to believe that, given the taxes I pay in Canada that someone wasn't smart enough to write into the tax treaty the unnecessary duplication of filing a U.S. tax return, given no one comes here to EVADE taxes. Considering the gazillions of illiegal souls in my homeland (U.S.) not paying taxes at all, the challenge of having the IRS hunt me down for this is almost worth it. Five years in prison would give me some rest from the paperwork. Insane.
Boston Tea Party 2
JohnSt

Post by JohnSt »

Are you also a Canadian citizen? Do you only have Canadian investments? While this won't overcome your obligation, as Nelson spelled out, it could impact the IRS's ability to throw you in "jail," so to speak (or at least help you to sleep better). See the US-Canada tax treaty, Article XXVI A, #8.
JohnSt

Post by JohnSt »

BTW, I should not have posted the "sleep better" remark. If you backfile correctly (with any citizenship), you should be fine.
idrawart

Post by idrawart »

Thanks JohnSt. I am not a Canadian citizen. I'm a U.S. citizen with landed status since 1985. I have investments within my RRSP that include foreign for obvious risk reasons. I've got three kids living in the states and we were contemplating moving back, but I'm starting to think it's easier to take the prison route. As you can tell, I'm not impressed. My sleep patterns definitely won't be interrupted because of the 1040. BTW, I just received my new U.S. passport in December. No issues because of the non-filing. I'm still a citizen of the U.S.
Boston Tea Party 2
JohnSt

Post by JohnSt »

I feel your pain. I think only one or two other countries tax based on citizenship. In my case, I dutifully filed, but I based my filing on IRS advice from when I first moved to Canada. Over the years, my situation changed dramatically, but I continued to file what I thought were the right forms. This forum and others helped me to get caught up, but it's not an easy thing to do yourself.