T5 in US tax report...

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mel0526

T5 in US tax report...

Post by mel0526 »

Hi,

I'm living in US with a TN. I cut my link with Canada and Quebec but I keeped my bank accounts but changed my residency status with the bank. For the interest I had in 2007 on my account they send me a T5 but they said it's a mistake and I should receive after March 1st a NR4. What I have to do with the T5 and the NR4?

I already have to send a letter for tax Quebec to told them I will not do a tax report...same if I told them that I didn't leave there and work there for all 2007 they send me 2007 papers to fill. I had write that I left the Canada in 2006 for my 2006 report...

Canada told me I have nothing to do...but I have a T5?

I will fill a 1040 in US with my W2 but what about my interest of Canadian bank account? :?

Thanks you,
Melanie
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You report all interest on your US return. The tax withheld in canada is to be used as a credit on your US return, using form 1116.

You have nothing to report in canada since you seem to have left in 2006, and are no longer resident.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mel0526

Post by mel0526 »

It looks like, I will not receive any NR4 to replace the T5...a bank address change trouble it looks like...do I have to fill a tax report in Canada to pay tax on those interests only? I'm filling a full 1040 this year...Can I use my T5 on my US tax report?

Thanks again,
Melanie
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You do not file anything in canada. You send them a letter with tha check for 10% of the interest.

The IRS doesn't ask for receipts. You input the values into your tax return based on your T5, and keep it for reference.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mel0526

Post by mel0526 »

Thanks Nelsona!
Do I can fill the form 1116 in my US tax report with the 10%, I will send to tax Canada?
I feel better now...just one of the bank send me a Releve3 also...do I do something with it? They are supposed to cancel it but I don't really believe them anymore.
Melanie
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You do not need to pay anything to QC on the interest earned after your departure date. keep the RL-3, but it is meaningless.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

.. and yes you can use the 10% on 1116 using the tax 'accrued' method.

Otherwise you can put it as a deduction on your 2008 return next year.
Betfner20

Re: T5 in US tax report...

Post by Betfner20 »

Additionally, store the seeds https://cannacraftcorner.com in a cool, dark, and dry environment to minimize exposure to heat, light, and moisture, which can lead to seed deterioration. It is also important to store seeds in airtight containers or envelopes to protect them from pests and humidity.