canadian citizen living in canada with American spouse in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Rowan

canadian citizen living in canada with American spouse in US

Post by Rowan »

ive done a search and have seen something similar to my situation but its in reverse

My husband and I married In 2007. I live here in Canada as a citizen and he currently resides in the USA as a citizen. He comes on 6 month temp visa's ( so does not work while in canada) until he is immigrated ( papers not filed as of yet , if that makes any difference)

How do i file my return ? first I have obviously never filed under the married status or name.

Do i need to include his income in the USA? we do not share expenses while apart, and I was the sole income while he was in Canada.. can i get any kind of deduction based on supporting him for those 6 months ?

any information, suggestion, tax saving opportunities anyone has to share would be greatly appreciated. My knowledge in tax preparations is limited, hell I use quicktax to file, which is plug in your info and go !

So where do I start and what do I need to do ?

Help !
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Obviously, since you are married, you must indicate this on your return.

You must ALSO indicate his world income on the front of your return, this will determine whethr or not you are entitled to any spousal deductions, or any rebate or credit programs.

If you put in for or recieve ANY of these without indicating you are married, and/or without indicating his world income, yo uare filing a false return.

He likley does not have to file a Cdn return, since he is not yet resident enough days a year. He is entitled to however, due to being married to you. If it results in no extra tax, I;d be tempted to have hime file to get his income into the system, thus making him eligible for RRSP contributions when he does move.

BTW, he ALSO must indicate that he is married on his US return, and this may lead to him adding you to his return, depending on hoe much income he and you make.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D