TD F 90-22.1: What is "Financial interest"?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dmendel

TD F 90-22.1: What is "Financial interest"?

Post by dmendel »

Among the accounts I report on 90-22.1 is research grant account over which I have signing authority. The account has approximately $40-$80,000 at any given time over the fiscal year. This account is managed by a university business office, which makes sure all my authorized transactions are in accordance with the grant agreement. Furthermore, the account is audited yearly by the govt. granting agency. According to the instructions to 90-22.1, it appears I have "signature or other authority" over the account. Therefore, in box 26 ("Does the filer have a financial interest in the account?") I check "no" and then provide the information requested about the account owner (the university).

My question is this: Do I include this account in the total listed in box 20 (which asks for the "number of foreign financial accounts in which a financial interest is held.")? I assume, no, but would like confirmation. As I read this, the number of accounts reported on the form could very well differ from the number totaled up in box 20, which asks for a sub-set of those reported (ie, only those in which there is "financial interest".) Is this correct?
dmendel

Post by dmendel »

Still looking for an answer:

Is box 20 asking for the total number of accounts listed on the form, or only those for which you have ticked off the "yes" box asking if you have a "financial interest" in the account?

I know this seems silly, since "financial interest" on one part of the form should mean the same thing on another, but you never know. And there is no explicit mention of this in the instructions.
dmendel

Post by dmendel »

Since no one seems to have an answer to this, does anyone know who I can call to get an answer?
Carson

Post by Carson »

You interpretation is correct. Box 20 only includes those accounts in which you have a financial interest. So, the University account would not be included in the Box 20 total.

That's also how the software I use does it. Makes sense given the definitions.
dmendel

Post by dmendel »

Thanks, Carson.

What software are you using that has this form?
Carson

Post by Carson »

I'm using Lacerte, which is professional level software. Even so, it has its limitations!