Canada resident/citizen working in US .....

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bermuda

Canada resident/citizen working in US .....

Post by bermuda »

I have looked through historical posts on this site. I have found scenarios similar to mine but not exactly the same. I have learned a lot but hopefully someone can help me with my specific situation.

I have an opportunity to work in the US for a US company. I will physically be in the US roughly 150 days per year. I have a house and family in Canada.
What does the employer need to do to make this happen?
Do I need a US Visa? If so which one?
What filings will they need to do in both Canada and the US?
What will I need to do for tax filings? File a personal return in Canada and the US?
Will my overall out of pocket be equivalent to my Canadian tax bill that would be paid had I simply worked in Canada?
Any help is appreciated.
Bill_S

Post by Bill_S »

The employer has to sponsor you for an appropriate immigration status.

You will need an immigration status that allows you to work in the US. Without knowing what the job is, we have no way of knowing what status would be appropriate. Without knowing more about you, your education and your experience, we have no way of knowing if you would qualify for an employment status.

What is the job?
bermuda

Post by bermuda »

Hi Bill,

I am a chartered accountant. The employer is a software developer for the financial industry. They are hiring me for my expertise in a specific area to both help develop the system and kick off north american expansion.

The US office is thier first in North America.

They have also indicated that they may be willing to set up a canadian company if that would help the situation however it would not change the number of days I would be in the US.

Hope this provides the info you need ot help me out.
bermuda

Post by bermuda »

bump - and does the above arrangement mean that my US employer will now have to file a Canadian tax return?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No bumping please.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bermuda

Post by bermuda »

Sorry Nelsona - I have seen some great advice on this forum so I wanted to keep my questions in the running for answers.
Will not bump again....