Individual Taxpayer Identificaton Number

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Rose

Individual Taxpayer Identificaton Number

Post by Rose »

I am an independent consultant, living in Canada, working for a company in the US. Do I need to obain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the IRS?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Only if you need to file a return in US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Rose

Post by Rose »

What determines whether I have to file a return or not?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Don't really understand your question.

You are a contractor, not an employee. and have no base in US. thus you do not have any US taxable income, and are neither a citizen nor a resident of US. Also, no US tax has been incorrectly withheld from you, which you would need to recoup.

So, unless your spouse is a US citizen and wished to file jointly with you, you don't need an ITIN.

You will only get an ITIN once you file a return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Rose

Post by Rose »

Yes I am a contractor and not an employee. My question stems from some of the research that I have done. I have come across a lot of literature that suggests I should be completing Form 8233 on an annual basis and submitting it to the US company. Do I not need to do this?

Second question, the US company wants to submit form 1042S to the IRS - this form requires an ITIN. They have asked me for one. Should they not be submitting this form?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1042S does not require an ITIN. it states "If any". When you give your first 8233 to the firm (if they want it), you will get an ITIN by sending a copy along a W-7 to IRS. I already told you in another post that you "could" file an 8233.

The purpose of 8233 is to prevent withholding. But you aren't being withheld.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Okay - thanks for your help. I did some more research on the web and just got myself all confused.