US Citizen, working in Canada, claiming employment expenses

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

US_Canada

US Citizen, working in Canada, claiming employment expenses

Post by US_Canada »

Hi,

I work for a global consulting organization and we have our client here in Toronto, Canada.

I am required to report to the client's (fixed location) office every day. To this end; I drive my personal car back and forth from my private residence. I get a performance bonus but not a sales commission.

Can the gas expenses (and anything else) be claimed as part of employee non-reimbursed expenses? My gas bill is about 350/mon so it's quite a substantial expense.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Nope.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
US_Canada

Post by US_Canada »

[quote="nelsona"]Nope.[/quote]

Thanks. Looks like I have nothing but RRSP deductions that can be claimed.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Wahat?!You don't have any Northern Residents deduction or Vow or perpetual poverty deduction?

just kidding.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D