Efiling with new SSNs

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

acd257

Efiling with new SSNs

Post by acd257 »

I used to efile for the previous years with ITINs for my dependents. **(! forms also had ITINs. Now Since my wife and one child got SSN, other child still on ITIN. Can I efile with new SSNs. will the sytem rejetc the return
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes and no.

The 'electronic signature' probably won't be accepted. However, this is solved buy submitting a paper signature.

Your software will spit out the required form, 8453-OL, which you then send in.

It is always a good practice to write to the INIT Unit in Pennsylvania to inform them of the ITIN to SSN migration. You are in fact supposed to do this when you got SSN.

This doesn't get around the e-file problem the first year, but does tie up any furure misunderstandings.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
acd257

Post by acd257 »

Thanks, Nelson for the reply.
You are suggesting to file a paper copy atleat for this year. I googled for ITIN unit in PA and found this forum http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showt ... hp?t=15844 which discusses same topic have opinon that PA office does not process instead Austin. In that forum some people have called IRS and they have repiled it is not required.
I will send it to both PA and Tx
cullen

Post by cullen »

[quote="nelsona"]Yes and no.

The 'electronic signature' probably won't be accepted. However, this is solved buy submitting a paper signature.

Your software will spit out the required form, 8453-OL, which you then send in.

It is always a good practice to write to the INIT Unit in Pennsylvania to inform them of the ITIN to SSN migration. You are in fact supposed to do this when you got SSN.

This doesn't get around the e-file problem the first year, but does tie up any furure misunderstandings.[/quote]

The ITIN unit is in Austin. I am a Certifying Acceptance agent for ITIN's and in 2005 all of the operations were moved there and it was a real mess. I had a few oversease clients that had to wait 9 months to get some refunds on capital gains transactions due to their delays.

Generally the efile system looks at last name and SS# to do its preliminary matching. This year, with the move to all electronic signatures, the 8453 only functions as a voucher for certian paper documents that must be physically sent in conjunction with a return. I would go ahead and efile alerting the practitioner since there is always a possibility that it would be rejected. All the computer can say is "no" so if it is rejected, just mail it in. You cannot be penalized for trying to adhere to the efiling mandates :)
Joe
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Indeed the ITIN unit has moved. When the poster would look for the adress of the ITIN Unit this would become evident.

The method I outlined (e-file with OL form) worked until this season, I guess. my apologies.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cullen

Post by cullen »

[quote="nelsona"]Indeed the ITIN unit has moved. When the poster would look for the adress of the ITIN Unit this would become evident.

The method I outlined (e-file with OL form) worked until this season, I guess. my apologies.[/quote]

The new rule hasn't been implemented with much publicity so there will be plenty of confusion this year :)
Joe