Moved back to canada, 1040 departure year + RRSP contributions

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

totality6666

Moved back to canada, 1040 departure year + RRSP contributions

Post by totality6666 »

Hi,

I left the USA (lived there a few years) and re-established residency in Canada earlier this year 2020.

I would like to file 1040 return to get standard deduction and file married joint.

My canadian income is too high to exclude completely from 1040 using foreign income exemption.

My question is: If I contribute to employer-sponsored RRSP in Canada, can I deduct this from 1040 income ? (up to 401k limit). I'm a canadian citizen and not a USA citizen.

Thanks
nelsona

Re: Moved back to canada, 1040 departure year + RRSP contributions

Post by nelsona »

You would be able to deduct employer plan contributions from your 2020 1040. Not private contributions. Be careful that you not exceed your RRSP limit however, which may be small if you have not reported in Canada for a few years.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D