Foreign Tax Credit for part-year resident?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cw

Foreign Tax Credit for part-year resident?

Post by cw »

Hello Nelsona,
If I file US 1040 for the full year in US as you suggested, and as a part-year Canadian tax resident before I emigrated, could I claim US tax as foreign tax credit on my T1? Or should I claim Canadian tax as a foreign tax on 1040?

Also, I will use Ufile as you recommended for Canadian tax return this year (I wish I knew it years ago). Do you have any recommendation about any US tax software/website? Thanks a lot.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Unless you earned US-source income before leaving Canada, there will be no US income on your Cdn return, and thus noi need for any foreign tax credit. The creit will be on your US return, on which you will have reported Cdn income.

Taxcut and turbotax are equivalent. If you use MS money use taxcut. If you use Quicken use tiurbotax.

One slight advantage of Taxcut (in 2005 and 2006 anywys) was that they included Form 8891, which you will need to file if you have RRSPs.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D