US Universal Life Insurance while in Canada?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

kha.rin

US Universal Life Insurance while in Canada?

Post by kha.rin »

My husband and I (both Canadian citizens) but live in the US (Permanent residents). In the US, we are looking at buying Universal Indexed Life Insurance but I'm concern about the tax problems we will face if we moved back to Canada in 5-10 years and continue to hold this asset into retirement in Canada.

The insurance company has mentioned all gains from this account are tax-free even if you live in Canada—i.e. the cash surrender value can be withdrawn in Canada without paying taxes.

Is this accurate?
nelsona

Re: US Universal Life Insurance while in Canada?

Post by nelsona »

Anything benefit you would get from an insurance policy would be tax-free in both US and Canada.

I would get a second opinion about Universal Life as a financial decision, since it is generally considered (except by insurance salesman, of course) to be a poor insurance and a worse investment. Those beautiful buildings that Insurance companies have built over the last 150 yrs have been because of Universal Life premiums. Just saying.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
xiaoice

Re: US Universal Life Insurance while in Canada?

Post by xiaoice »

I purchased a life insurance in Canada, then moved to USA. The tax reporting I found later is very complicated in USA... even thought I was told my agent that everything is tax-free. But after reading tons of form instructions, I decided to give the insurance policy up. - it is a waste of money. and I lost the already-paid premium.

Stay away from insurance, unless it it term-insurance.