Questions on selling US purchased car in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Ed Darte

Questions on selling US purchased car in US

Post by Ed Darte »

I am now back living in Canada after working in US from 2000 to 2006. When I returned to Canada in 2006 I imported the car I had purchased in US. At that time I did all the necessary paperwork and inspections and paid all necessary taxes and duties to import the car.

Given the current exchange rate I am considering the possibility of taking the car to US as a trade-in and possible purchase and import of a new car as there are huge price differences ($20,000+) between US & Canada on vehicle I am considering.

It has been suggested to me that, as I am returning car to US, I might be eligible to get a refund of the duties I paid to first import it to Canada. Does anyone know if this is true?

Does anyone know of any "gotchas" that complicate purchase in US? I think I know all about what needs to be done to get car out of US and into Canada. I also think my old US dealer would be willing to sell me the vehicle for export.