Reporting RRSP "internal earning" to FTB

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

calvin_g

Reporting RRSP "internal earning" to FTB

Post by calvin_g »

My RRSP was "locked" for year 2006 -- that means no contribution, no withdrawal, no fund switching. Am I correct my gain/loss is the difference between the first and last day of yr 2006?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. If you did not sell any investments, there was no capital gains, regardleess of the change in value. This is just like any stock you hold: you don't have any gain/loss until you actually sell.

Now, if you received internal distributions, which can be interst, dividends or capital gains,then these are consdered income andmust be reported in Cal. The fund usually describes what the distribution was, somewhere; (ie. $1.22 /unit distribution: 0,20 interst, .25 dividend, 0.77 cap gans.)
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

What you have to do for FTB purposes, is to remove the "fence" around your RRSPs and treat them like ordicary investment accounts. In such accounts one normally doesn't care, for tax purposes, about the daily value. One cares only about distributions or dividends, and capital gains arising from sales of stock/units during the year.

Anyone with an non-RRSP investment account does this every year for IRS/FTB/CRA.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D