Move to US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canuck2007

Move to US

Post by canuck2007 »

I know this is not the right place to ask this question but I can't find another forum. I am a Canadian Citizen living in Ontario. I am in the process of getting my US green card. I will have to move to US for the I-485 processing stage (Adjustment of Status). Would I have to swap my ontario license + license plate to michigan license+ plates ?..Is these a way I can continue to have my ontario drivers license + plate and still live in michigan for the next couple of years as I have family in Canada driving cars on the same insurance policy? Also, I would be crossing the border on a weekly basis. Any help would be highly appreciated.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need to be DL'd, plated and insured where you actaully live. If you live in Ontario, you need Ontario DL, Ontario plates, Ontario insurance, this will cover temporary visits to US. if you live in MI, you need MI DL, MI plates, and an insurance poilicy based on where you live in MI, this will cover your trips to Ontario. Plating in most US states also requires you to formally import the car thru US customs.

You should not mix the 3, living in one place and plating/insuring in another.

The risk is that your insurance will be declared invalid AFTERyou have an accident. This may also run you afoul of Cdn custom rules which forbid most entries by Cdn residents (ie on Ontario DL) with a US registered car.

Consider it a cost of leaving your family in canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Bill_S

Post by Bill_S »

Everything Nelson has said is correct. I would add that when he says "If you live in MI, you need MI DL..." you should read that to mean that those things are required by state law if you are a resident of MI. Every state has a time limit for getting fully converted, typically 30 days. You have nothing to gain (other than a some money, I suppose) and much to lose by playing games with where you live and where your car is registered/insured. If you don't want to believe us, call your insurance agent and ask how a claim against your policy would be handled after you have MOVED to the USA and taken up residence there.
canuck2007

Post by canuck2007 »

Thanks for your replies. Can I get a MI license based on my ON license or would I have to take the written/road tests again? Does Ontario Michigan have some agreement over exchange of driver information or can I keep my Ontario License and still get a new MI license.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why don't you find out and report back. There are too many combinations for us to track.

What's so great about an Ontario License when you don't evne live there. I hope you are not going to try to scam OHIP, are you?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Bill_S

Post by Bill_S »

Canuck, there are 50 states, hence 50 sets of rules for how new residents get driver's licenses. Check the State of Michigan's web site for links to their Motor Vehicle dept, and look for the "new residents" link. You will find out what MI requires. Even if they let you keep your ON license, it will be little more than a souvenir. If it doesn't have your current address on it it won't have any validity.
canuckmom

Post by canuckmom »

Some states like NJ, NY, OR allow for exchange of dl. You can turn in your Canadian one, have your photo taken and get one for that state.

Other states you have to take the written and/or road test to get a new licence.

I don't know about MI, but WA requires written and road test.

We mailed Ontario dl's back since WA doesn't bother.