Opening US IRA account while in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

corkman67

Opening US IRA account while in Canada

Post by corkman67 »

Hi there,

I have a US 401k (under $10k) which for various reasons I want to convert to an IRA (incl. the fact that the company I used to work for will soon be disappearing).

Can anyone recommend any US investment firms which will let me open a US IRA account while living in Canada? Eg, Vanguard, Ameritrade, Etrade, etc?

If I can't do this, any recommendations on what I should do?

Thanks!

-Paul
corkman67

Post by corkman67 »

I should clarify that I used to live in California under a TN...I've been back in Canada for a few years now, working for a different company than when I lived in the USA.

Thanks for any advice,

-Paul
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your 401(k) is held by a management firm, of course, and not your old company. They likley have a rollover IRA in their stable, see if they will transfer your account into it.

Otherwise, it will be tough sledding to find a firm that will be willing to open up an accouny while in Canada. There are some smaller firms that might, but not for such a small portfoilio.

We've talked about the 401(k) ro RRSP transfer (search threads). This could be done, but you would end up losing the 10% early withdrawl penalty.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D