Maintaining a Canadian residency as a requirement for TN

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

georgio69

Maintaining a Canadian residency as a requirement for TN

Post by georgio69 »

Hi all,

I have been working abroad and haven't been back in Canada for some time. I've heard apparently you need to maintain ties to Canada to get a TN. What would constitute ties? I'm assuming financial things, hence I'm posting in this forum.

Can someone give me an idea of the things they look for?

Thanks
projectpete

Post by projectpete »

I am currently under TN and i dont have a house or apartment, the ties I have are family, a bank account with money in it, RRSP, things like that.
Bill_S

Post by Bill_S »

If you read the NAFTA TN handbook, it says nothing about maintaining Canadian ties while on TN status. However, there have been reports on some of the forums claiming that some POE officers have been hassling TNers about this. Renew your TN by mail to avoid border inspectors who are creatively interpreting the rules.
projectpete

Post by projectpete »

its true, i was interrogated for 45 mins when crossing the border back to the states, and again they interogated my wife when she was coming back to the states from a visit to canada. She overheard one of the border guards saying "shes not going to come into our country and squat".
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you have a TN, and your spouse has a TD, then she is perfectly entiltled to 'squat' wherever she wishes.

And there is absolutely no requirement to maintain ANY ties in canada while on TN.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

By the way, when the border a55holes are talking ties, they are referring to HOME, utilities, phone, etc, not bank and RRSP.

That is the statndard for admission on tourist status, which is not the same as for TN or TD.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... and those scum that are asking for ties are doing so -- not only on TN renewals -- but on regular re-entries on existing TNs.