Canadian Contractor in the U.S.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

uscdntax

Canadian Contractor in the U.S.

Post by uscdntax »

Hello

I have been offered a contract position in the U.S. I am a Canadian Citizen. I was hoping someone could advice on the best structure for the contract. I contract through my Canadian corporation in Canada but I have read that it may be more tax efficient to set up an S corporation in the U.S. Or would it be better to just operate as a Sole Proprietor?

I am particularly concerned about "Subpart F Income"; I read about this on this website. If I am being paid through my Canadian corp, would I be liable for this? It seems like double taxation to me. Would I be able to claim foreign business income tax credit in Canada? My understanding is that for subpart F income, you are taxed as if the profits of the company had been distributed.

In addition, would it be better to just become a Canadian non-resident for tax purposes in this situation?

Thanks in advance.