Registered mail

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

JohnSt

Registered mail

Post by JohnSt »

Just curious, has anyone else had issues with Canadian (or American) registered mail to the IRS? In early/mid-March, I sent 5 separate letters -- two the IRS Austin, two to the Treasury in Detroit, and one to the IRS in Philadelphia (complicated, I know). Three of the five arrived relatively quickly, and I have the the electronic receipts. However, the two sent to the IRS in Austin have not been delivered, though I received receipts from the other locations more than a week ago. Canada Post is tracking the letters now.

At the IRS call center, two different people told me "don't expect to get anything signed," even with registered mail. They also told me that it would take 4-6 weeks to get any paper returns into their system. I'm just curious what other people's experiences have been.