Self-employement or foreign income?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lucas_2005

Self-employement or foreign income?

Post by lucas_2005 »

Hi,

I've been living in Vancouver, BC, since September 2004. I'm working from home, as a Software Consultant, for a French client. I'm sending them invoices in euros, and they pay me by money transfers into my Canadian account. Do I have to report this income as "Foreign Income" or as "Self-Employement Income"?

Thanks alot in advance!
Lucas
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Both.

There is no such category as foreign income. Any income can be foreign, if it comes from a foreign source.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
lucas_2005

Post by lucas_2005 »

Hi, and thank you so much for your answer!

Is it OK if I don't mention anything in the "Foreign Income" section?
Also, what should I report, the amount that entered into my account or the original amount (in euros) multiplied by the exchange rate of the day?

Thanks again!
Lucas
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I am unaware of a foreign income 'section'. Identifying any income as foreign entitles you to claim a foreign tax. Note that foreign property is not the same as foreign income.

The only income which have to be specifically listed as foreign is foreign wages. Your income is not a wage.

As to what exchange rate to use, you choose.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
lucas_2005

Post by lucas_2005 »

Hi Nelsona,

Thanks again for your answer, I think I finally get it :)

Cheers!
Lucas