Rental Property

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

windalebrit

Rental Property

Post by windalebrit »

I purchased residential rental property in 2011 and rented it out until 2014, when it was converted to personal property. I then rented it out in 2019. No depreciation recapture was taken in 2014 because the property was not sold.

Assume $75K was the original cost basis. Do I resume taking depreciation expense based on the original schedule? So essentially taking the Yr. 9 depreciation rate against $75K shown in Pub. 946 assuming a 27.5 yr. life?

Or does the depreciation start again at yr. 1 based off an adjusted cost basis? (Original cost basis less accumulated depreciation but only through to 2014)?

Thanks
nelsona

Re: Rental Property

Post by nelsona »

This is a forum for cross-border issues. Please visit another site for this type of question.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D