Social Sec/Medicare Tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

syed

Social Sec/Medicare Tax

Post by syed »

Hi,
1) Where in 1040 do we write the Social Security and Medicate Taxes as taxes paid?
Syed R.
Carson

Post by Carson »

They are not taxes paid. Any overpayment of SS can be claimed back on line 67 I believe.

SS and Medicare can be claimed as US taxes paid for foreign tax credit purposes on a Canadian T1 where the income is taxable to a Canadian resident.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Of course, Self-employment tax (which is SS/Medicare) are on the return, and signify the 'employer's half' of the FICA bill.

FICA taxes appear on your W-2 if an employee, and is one of the reasons CRA asks for W-2 along with 1040.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
syed

Post by syed »

Thanks everyone trying to answer my question.
I would like to share the following information for the readers.

Line 67 is for excess SS tax withheld if you worked for more than one employer and the total wages of more than $94,200 (joint) if the amount withheld is over $5840.40. You can not claim the excess on line 67 if you worked for only one employer. In this case use Form 843 to claim a refund.
Syed R.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It is highly unlikely that with one employer, you would overpay Fica.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D