double taxed?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cfull

double taxed?

Post by cfull »

I am a Canadian citizen living in the US as a permanent resident. I work for a US Company that wants me to go to Canada to work on a project for about 8 months. I will keep my US residency and my pay will continue to be from the US company. I know I will be taxed in the US the same as I have been. Will I be taxed again in Canada? Can I avoid it?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you are maintaining US residence, and on temp assignment for a US company, you need to ensure that you are not present in canada for more than 183 days in the calendar year.

Keep strict count of your days, leeaving for weekends as often as you can.

If you were to delay the start of this project until say, July, then your days each year would not jeopardize your Cdn-tax exempt status.

If spending 183 days in canada is unavoidable, then you will need to file a non-resident tax return to report the wages you earned while in Canada, pay the tax in Canada, and then get credit in US. This will be a HUGE 'transfer' that you would undertake. Perhaps owing to canada with IRS owing you the same (or probably less).

You should have assurance from your firm tha, if you become liable in canada because of days, that they will cover it. this might make them reconsider timeing.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D