Capital Gains on Property

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jazi

Capital Gains on Property

Post by jazi »

Hoping someone could enlighten me as to whether or not there is an exemption for capital gains on property owned and sold in Canada for dual citizens of the US and Canada? Thanks.
Carson

Post by Carson »

Assuming you mean real property, the short answer is no on either side of the border.
jazi

Post by jazi »

Thanks for the reply. So am I to assume that I would have to then pay capital gains on a single real estate sale to both countries?
Carson

Post by Carson »

[quote="jazi"]Thanks for the reply. So am I to assume that I would have to then pay capital gains on a single real estate sale to both countries?[/quote]

No, the country where the real estate is located gets to tax the gain first. Then the other country can also tax you, but must allow a foreign tax credit. The idea is that there should be no double tax, though the tax credit system isn't perfect and a full credit is not always available.

Check this board - there should be plenty of threads on your situation.
jazi

Post by jazi »

Thanks again. I will do some digging on the other posts.