The "valid passport" dilemma

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Maria

The "valid passport" dilemma

Post by Maria »

I am a Canadian citizen, living in the US and a green card holder. My Canadian passport expires in June. I'm intending to return permanently to Canada as soon as our house sells (it's on the market) - and this could be anytime soon, or not. I also intend to keep my green card alive for at least a year, after my return, by filing the 131 document and continuing to file my taxes. This, ust in case the return to Canada does not work out

About the passport...I thought of applying for a new one from here but one of the things they want is my Canadian citizenship card + my current passport. That would leave me without my principal Canadian citizenship documents for about six weeks if all goes well but I understand it's taking longer to process a passport these days. In short, I don't want to be without my documents in case the house sells and we have to leave before the new passport arrives, so I've decided to let it expire and apply for a new one the moment I re-enter Canada. Again, this will take about six weeks.

My question: should I need to FLY back to the US during that time - for whatever reason, is it enough to present my green card, or do they also want a valid Canadian passport?

Thanks for your help!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You do realize this is a TAX forum?

Your GC is sufficient to fly. Besides, it is not Canada that requires a passport or GC to enter, it is US!

You are making the coorrrect decision to hold on to your valid Cdn PP as long as you can, and waiting to go back before getting new one. Cdn PP office is a mess right now.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Maria

Post by Maria »

Thank you for you reply. Yes, I do see that this is a TAX forum. My apologies annoying you by having asked the question here. I did not see a forum for general cross-border issues, including passports. I also thought the question of passports, now that air travel to the US demands a valid Cdn passport, might be of interest to others.

You write: "Your GC is sufficient to fly. Besides, it is not Canada that requires a passport or GC to enter, it is US!"

I'm fully aware of THAT. My question was about FLYING BACK the US, if only you'd read it correctly.

Anyway, get yourself a fresh cup of coffee and thanks again.
PC

Re:

Post by PC »

I apologize for replying to this thread, as I know this is not a tax related question, but I hope it helps.

You are required to have a valid Canadian passport to "FLY" out of Canada to USA as of Januray 2007. However, by road you do not require a Canadian Passport. As long as you do have a valid Green Card, you should not have a problem entering the US, whether by Air or Land. However, due to the recent Passport requirement for Air travel, you maybe asked to show a valid Passport as well. I suggest if you have to come back to US while not having your valid passport, you should enter by land, in that case your Green Card should suffice. If you must enter by Air, you must have a valid Canadian Passport along with your Green Card. My understanding is that Canadian passport is required for Canadian "visitors" not for US PRs who also happened to be a Canadian Citizen. Since you have a GC, they may make an exception for the passport. However, a Passport is strongly recommended when travelling my Air. Hope this helps.
rbsullivan

Post by rbsullivan »

A couple of things -

if your still here in the US when your PP expires, you do not have to send it in with your application.

PC mentions "If you must enter by Air, you must have a valid Canadian Passport along with your Green Card." All you need is your valid PR Card.

And I believe that Airlines will accept a expired passport for ID purposes up to 6 months after expiry.
PC

Post by PC »

I do not think the airlines need to see a passport, any valid ID shud be fine. But the passport requirement is for US Immigration, who are stationed in Canadian Airports, for Air travellers from Canada to USA. But I think rbsullivan is correct. You should be fine with your valid GC, regardless of a passport. The passport rule most probably only applies to Canadian Visitors. But Permanent Residents shud not have a problem.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The passport rule applies to AKK.

However, a GC is acceptable. And PC is correct that Airlines do not require PP, just photo ID. They are, however, required to ensure that passengers they check-in have the required immigration documents to travel to their destination(s).

Otherwise they pay a fine.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

AKK = ALL