dividents within RRSP , taxable in California or not?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

shsamardar

dividents within RRSP , taxable in California or not?

Post by shsamardar »

Hi

if RRSP account receives dividents/interest and there is no distribution out from RRSP account, is divident taxable in California?

For federal , there is a form we can fill to postpose taxes on RRSPs until distributions. but how about califonia state tax?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, they are taxable, as are capital gains generated by trades.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
shsamardar

Post by shsamardar »

Hi Nelsona

Thank you for your reply.

Is it any specific publications from California Tax board specifying these rules of RRSP involvement?

Thanks
Shahram
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

While I'm loathe to look into state items, I think a search of the california FTB site for RRSP will show it.

Basically, the RRSP account is treated just like any other investment account that you maight haver, interst, dividends, and cap gains are taxable in the year they occur.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
shsamardar

Post by shsamardar »

below is the link to california tax board news letter talking about RRSP :

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/professionals/tax ... 3/0506.pdf

In second page, it is saying that RRSP is treated as a saving account. for saving account, we don't have capital gains, all interest are regular income.
Now I am confused that you said treat RRPSs as capital gains and this says treat as saving account. IF My original contributions were $1000 and in 2006 There was $100 dividents paid and it is within RRSP , NO distribution, how do I have to report this $100?

Thanks

The link says:

After reviewing the characteristics of a
RRSP, we have revised our internal
procedures and will now treat a RRSP
like a savings account, not a functional
equivalent of an Individual Retirement
Arrangement. As a result, California
resident taxpayers’ original
contributions, made while a Canadian
resident, are treated as a capital
investment in the RRSP. California
residents are required to include the
earnings from their RRSP in their
California taxable income in the year
earned
Carson

Post by Carson »

CA made a poor choice of words when they used "savings account". What they are saying is (see Nelson's posting) that an RRSP is NOT treated like an IRA, i.e, where only the withdrawals are taxable.

An RRSP is treated like any investment account for CA purposes, i.e. the earnings (interest or dividends) and gains are taxable on an annual basis.
calvin_g

Post by calvin_g »

So if I use 8891 to defer my RRSP, then I do NOT need to include the RRSP "internal earnings" on my 1040 but I will need to include the income in my 540 form as investment income. Is that correct?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes. Then when you start withdawing your RRSP, you will report some income on 1040, but generally less on 540 (since you will have 'pre-paid' the tax on this).