re-filing 2005 taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rg1495

re-filing 2005 taxes

Post by rg1495 »

I am a canadian commuter who works in US.....I would like to know the rules of amending your tax return from last year? I am looking at my CRA notice of assessment from last year and find I have federal non-refundable tax credits of close to $3000 and on line 6150 ontario non-refundable tax credits of upto $1100....did I overpay my taxes? If yes, can I refile my 2005 taxes or would this be a problem with CRA? Also, can I amend my US taxes from last year as well?

Thanks in advance
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can always amend a previous year's return. You don't "re-file", you submit an adjustment on T1-ADJ, indicating which line(s) you think are incorrect, and what the correct value should be.

You must submit any proof of the correct amount, even if you did not have to submit it with your original return.

Nothing you state in your post would lead me to think that you filed incorrecly; if your assesment indicated those credits, then this would mean that they were taken into account in determining your fed and prov taxes.

The process fpr amending yur 1040 is similar, on form 1040-X.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D