Can we avoid to file Canadian taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

satin1410

Can we avoid to file Canadian taxes

Post by satin1410 »

Myself and spouse are in US working on TN1 visa.I started working in US in Aug 2018 and my spouse started working in Feb 2019. We are living full time in US in a rental property. My 2 kids go to school in US.

We own a home in Canada which is currently rented. Apart from our current home, we booked a new construction home which will be ready by Sept 2021. So we plan to stay in US till then and once our new home is built we will leave US and move back to Toronto. 
My wife can work in the same company in their Canadian operations and I will find another job.

So based on our situation, do we need to file Canadian taxes. I would like to avoid that if possible as my understanding is that I will have to pay more taxes in Canada.

Thanks
adeboloj

Re: Can we avoid to file Canadian taxes

Post by adeboloj »

If I may ask, what happened to your 2018 taxes?
You should have file departure tax in Canada and do your US taxes.
Appears to me, you havent file tax in Canada since you left for US in 2018 based on your comment " if possible as my understanding is that I will have to pay more taxes in Canada"
Its not about paying more taxes in Canada but doing the right thing.
You are in the right forum and you can learn by browsing many topics here to help you take care of your taxes and if you need help then consult a CPA.
The fact that you will be returning to Canada after your new house is ready could bring up questions why you have not file Canadian taxes in previous years.