Working on TN, married but in 2 separate states, how to file

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

NewtoUS

Working on TN, married but in 2 separate states, how to file

Post by NewtoUS »

I have been working under TN since Jan 2006 and have been in State A. My wife is on F1 and has stayed in State B. I understand that we both need to file federal tax; in addition, I file State A tax while my wife needs to file State B tax.

But when I filed my tax using TurboTax, it obviously also asked me to pay State B tax though I didn't stay or earn any income from State B - my only tie with State B is that my wife is attending school there and earned income from being a TA. Did i miss something here? In the Tax Summary, TurboTax even put my name on State B tax file (it should be my wife).

Another question is about moving expense. I had moving expense in both 2005 and 2006 (some in late 2005 and some early 2006) when I came here to work. As I didn't file 2005 tax return because I didn't have any income for 2005 from US, I didn't report 2005 moving expense. Can I report the moving expense when I file 2006 return?
Thanks.
NewtoUS

Post by NewtoUS »

Can anybody help with my question please? This is my first year to report US tax and maybe I asked a silly question, but please give me some advice. Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Advice: when Turbotax doesn't fit your situation, don't use it.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D