non-returning Cdn visitor to US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

randyonthenet

non-returning Cdn visitor to US

Post by randyonthenet »

Hi,

I'm a Cdn citizen. Got laid in late 2003 with a severance package that that ran until march 04. I left Canada in late Dec 03 to visit my longtime girlfriend in the US. (I filed Cdn tax for 03.) I then decided to marry her and settle in the US. I got a job in the US and applied for residency in 04. So I have income in both Canada and the US, and returned to Canada on a 3 day visit to get my stuffs.

I have no clue on what to do tax-wise? Do I need to file Cdn tax for the Cdn income or just include it as foreign income on my US tax? I received a T5.

Can I just file Cdn tax for just the Cdn income and US tax for only the US income? (probably not but I'm clueless at this point!!)

Appreciate your help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Got laid in late 2003 with a severance package <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That is one heckuva severance package![:D]

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>