Only received 1099-DIV not 1099-B

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

peer

Only received 1099-DIV not 1099-B

Post by peer »

I'm a US citizen living in Canada as a PR. In 2019, I opened a non-registered account with a robo-advisor (Wealthsimple). They have both Canadian and US branches, but this account was opened with their Canadian branch and I give them CAD. To avoid PFIC they only invest in US-listed ETFs.

For my Canadian taxes they provided me the T5008's and everything else. But for my US taxes they only provided a 1099-DIV- no 1099-B. When I asked for it, they said they only provided a combined 1099 (which includes the 1099-B) for "US residents", and for "US persons" they only provided the 1099-DIV.

I'm confused. Don't I need the 1099-B to know whether any capital gains are short-term or long-term? Logically, any sales in 2019 would have been short-term, but next year that may not be the case.