Looking for Tax Advice/Accounting Help: US Citizen Living in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canycuk

Looking for Tax Advice/Accounting Help: US Citizen Living in Canada

Post by canycuk »

I'm a US citizen living in Ontario. I've received an invitation to become a permanent resident and expect to finalize the process by mid-2020. I've been offered a job with a US company that is open to remote work and would like to take that role but remain in Canada.

What sort of complications would that cause, if any?

If I were to move to the US, would that jeopardize my PR status?
Redpen

Re: Looking for Tax Advice/Accounting Help: US Citizen Living in Canada

Post by Redpen »

It's been 23 years since I moved here, but unless things have changed, moving out of Canada would definitely jeopardize the PR. If you are considering dual citizenship at all in the future and you stay in Canada, be careful how often you go out of the country because you have to account for every trip when you apply.

From a tax perspective, Canada taxes based on residency while the US taxes are based on citizenship. Right now you've probably got Canadian residency and US citizenship so you should be filing both regardless of the location of your employer.

For more info on determining Canadian residency: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... tatus.html.